Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I am excited to finally put together a 16 minute audio interview with Rugaya, who manages beading projects at her home. It starts out with Stuart asking Rugaya to explain what she does, etc... as well as he narrates often to help me get a better picture (Conway does too). I found it quite hard to get her to talk more openly. I assume that is part of their culture.

Rugaya (right pic) has quite a few women working for her and pulls up to 30 women in the area to help on larger projects. I saw samples of her work - great quality and quite beautiful! She is skilled, beading anywhere from simple cushions to exotic ball gowns... quite a talented lady with a lot of spirit.

We interview Rugaya at her home - the upper left pic is the entrance to her home. Rugaya also showed me the tiny room in her home that the girls all work in (lower left pic). Stuart and Conway also help me understand the job situation there, companies exploiting the high volume workforce with low wages, the male dominance of the income allocation and what Rugaya has done to improve her life since working with Stuart. You'll notice Rugaya may not speak as much as the guys do but she confirms their statements.


Please disregard the fact that I say "wow" alot. My husband pointed that out to me.

Then just as we are about to get into the car to leave, Stuart pointed out to me that right across the street from Rugaya's home was a home where children can come to learn. The program is called "Happy Tots Educare" (see pic at lower right); but then the "66" at the end of the adjacent house is the sign for a tic (drug) house. Sadly, the children come to learn and then get hit up to do drugs on their way out.

Thank you Rugaya for inviting me into your home to share your life with me and to help get an understanding of life in Cape Town, South Africa.

No comments: