Friday, November 09, 2007

Part 1: I asked designer Adri from Hooligans to describe what sets her designs apart from the rest of the world and here's what she said:

Unique Original Artworks:
"Artworks are original and created by myself, whereas most people in the clothing industry take their inspiration from Europe and the East. An enormous amount of research goes into each artwork. First a style is decided on (actual cut and pattern) and then I think what picture would best suit this style and which animal would compliment it best. Finding animal photos and drawing them in a correct posture is the most difficult because one is taking a realistic picture and then animating it. Animating doesn't mean that a face and body can be completely out of whack. It at least has to look somewhat 'real'."

"Once I have the body standing or sitting in a cute way, the face is the main focus because that is what must be the total fun factor. The animal's expression must excite little kiddies and parents alike. Africa is a fun and vibrant country with plenty of sunshine... plant and animal life is abundant and that excitement flows over in my approach to the designs. I often find myself sit and smile while I draw as the little happy faces come to life."


Adri, you are definitely creating the "fun factor". Your new lines for the Safari Range are exploding off the shelves in the US! Stay tuned for how Adri differentiates their garments and discusses some of the actual designs and how they came to be.

The pic above is one of my favorites for the boys. In fact, quite a few of my shirts for boys are sold out due to the high volume of moms buying Hooligans shirts for their boys. I'll need to put in another order very soon.

No comments: